Group PT: Results, fun, community…Part ONE
Our industry has never been more competitive, populated and saturated. At the same time, never before has it been more vibrant, varied and bustling!
So what does this mean for a fitness business operator in today’s market?
Offer a product that is functional, fun and service oriented delivered by a well meaning and genuine team and you have the building blocks to a successful business. On the whole, the consumer wants to feel part of something. Yes, they want to make a difference to their health and fitness but they want a meaningful connection to their club and its trainers
Boxfit, Crossfit, F45,GO45, Semi private… let’s face it, group PT is where it’s at. Why? It’s fun, colourful and delivers fast fitness results.
So how do you set your group PT offering apart from the rest?
- Keep the structure of your program consistent for a set period. When your client becomes familiar with the session plan ahead, they can focus more on their output and less on listening to what’s next on the agenda. The only people who want a different program every single session are your coaches.
- By creating template sessions that allow for regression and progression based on fitness ability, age and injury, you can measure your client’s results and create and achievable goals for individual needs.
- Vary your product. Group PT is not simply bootcamp 4 times per week and you can stop brainstorming for fancy new names, because that’s not variation either.
- Devote your group PT timetable to a range of modalities that cover strength, flexibility, weight loss, a fun team environment and a session for entry level participants. Ie: TRX, Kettlebell, strength and conditioning, team circuits and technique. Your sessions must be definitive to specialised training with an expectation as to the intensity level for each session type.
- Regularly check in with your clients via the assessment process. This gives you the ability to re-visit set goals and reset new ones. Ensure interim goals are set to achieve during the longer journey and you’ll give your client something to celebrate sooner.
- Consistency is King! Coach your team to deliver your program with a culture of team spirit and support that uses the same language and ethos. Don’t rely on star coaches, rely on a star system.